A whole car body has approximately 30000 parts. And among all of these parts, an Engine splash shield can’t be kept out of the priority list. Engine splash shield plays a significant role in a car’s safety. It protects an engine from all types of dust, debris, or harmful particles. Splash shields go by different names like Skid plate, Lower engine cover, or engine splash guard. A Honda Civic body also has a prominent splash shield that protects its engine from getting damaged or clogged. But if it is not usable anymore, then how can you replace the splash shield of the Honda civic?
Let’s discuss it from every angle, why you should replace it, and how you can do that.
Engine splash shield goes by its name. It plays its role in car safety all the time. But what actually an Engine splash shield does?
- Protects Against Dust Or Debris – Dust can affect the car’s efficiency to the topmost level. Transmission can get affected the most. On the other hand, if dust or any other particles make their way to the vital parts, rust can happen to the parts, or water can also come out. An engine splash shield protects the parts from these types of dust or debris or any other unwanted harmful particle.
- Make The Impact Risk Lower– while driving on the road, a lot of objects come your way that can cause severe damage to your engine or your vital engine parts. For the upperside objects, the hood is there, but the lower-side objects also should be stopped before reaching the engine. For this reason, the splash shield is there for lower safety purposes.
- Catching Leaking Fluids– The engine splash shield can soak unwanted or extra liquids also. That’s why sometimes it feels way too heavy while replacing it. It protects the engine from liquids like transmission fluid or cooling fluid.
- Protects from Rust– The Splash shield of the Honda Civic protects other parts from Rust. as we all know, most of the engine parts are made from Metal, and they are rust-prone, so it is very important to keep the parts away from rust.
These are the most prominent jobs that a splash shield does in Honda Civic. Without a skid plate, a car’s engine can get hurt or damaged for many unwanted reasons.
Now we know the real importance of a splash shield. But how can we get to know when should we change it?
Technically, you can drive your Honda Civic without a splash shield, but experts don’t recommend it. You should change your splash shield when it is not useable, whether it is damaged or worn out. You can use your shield for a long time, you can even drive if it is hanging. But you should do these things because of parts’ safety matters
When you realize that you should replace the engine splash shield of the Honda Civic, either you can use the proper guidelines and tools, or you can go for a professional mechanic. But by following these steps, you can do it by yourself.
- Park your civic on a flat surface.
- Give your engine enough time to cool down after driving.
- using a jack, Make your vehicle high enough for the replacement process.
- Find the right screws and bolts which are keeping the splash shield in place.
- Hold your screwdriver tight and unscrew all the bolts and screws.
- In the next step, you have to take the old splash shield out and put the new splash shield in.
- Again screw all the bolts and screws using the screwdriver.
- Un-jack the car and make it low to ensure it is properly placed or not.
Now finally, the engine splash shield replacement process is done.
If you are facing any issues with Honda civic front Bumper follow the blog to understand the problems and replacement process.
If you are thinking about changing or replacing your old splash guard with a new one, then you have plastic and metal options. However, plastic ones are more affordable than metal ones. But if you want to have a long-lasting splash shield, then you can go for a metal one.
If you drive your Honda Civic on smooth roads most of the time and you want to spend less amount, then you can choose a plastic one. But if you drive your car rapidly and do off-road driving most of the time, then go for a metal one.
Before the replacement process, you have an option. You can try to fix or repair the old one first. But, you can’t fix a ripped one. Lastly, you have only one option. If you have decided to replace it, then you can search in local shops first. Or, you can go for trusted online websites like Spare Part Zone. It’s a trusted online website that sells used car parts that are in good condition.
For a new engine splash shield replacement, the charges should be between $50-$500. Well, it completely depends on the type. If the material is plastic, it will cost less. On the other hand, if it is metal made, then you have to pay some more bucks than the plastic one.
Frequently Asked Questions
Generally, a new engine splash shield of the Honda Civic reasonably cost around $50-$500.
Technically, you can drive your car without a splash shield, but experts don’t recommend it. Because it protects your engine and the vital parts from getting damaged by dust or other hard particles. It also soaks fluids that are extracted from the engine compartment.
An engine splash shield is made to absorb shocks also. Thereby, it can reduce noise in your cabin.
You can a partly broken, but you can’t fix a worn-out splash shield. You can use a drill and wire to fix the crack.